Saturday, November 05, 2005

Let me tell you about my boat...

Our day started with a tour of the ship, intended for the educators that make up the School of Rock. Ann Klaus, deputy director of the IODP at A&M, invited me to join them since it was my first time sailing as well. Our host was Ron Grout, Operations Superintendent for this expedition. He also works with me at our department at Texas A&M.

First, I thought you might benefit from a nice full-size photo of my floating office, and a fact sheet with everything you'd ever want to know about the JR. Right off the bat, I should tell you that she's 470 feet long, not 700 as I'd previously been led to believe. Still, she's just the right size for me... Check it out!







Ron directed us around those areas of the ship focused on drilling operations (Drill Floor, Core Tech Shop, Drill Shack, etc.) and operation of the vessel in general (such as the Engine Room). Here are a few photos from the tour... Click on each thumbnail for a larger print.




The Bridge of the JOIDES Resolution




New cores are prepared here on the catwalk (adjacent to the Drill Floor), immediately after being removed from the ocean floor.




View from the Drill Floor, looking up within the 200' derrick. The heavy machinery compensates for ocean heave during drilling.




One of three cranes on board the ship...




Ops Superintendent Ron Grout points the way




Bubba and Ron explain some of the mechanics behind drilling on the ocean floor.




Our Chief Engineer explains his equipment in the Engine Control Room, but never tells us how long things really take...


* EPILOGUE *

Our satellite feed is now up, so we're getting three channels of the Armed Forces Network (AFN). I was thrilled to find that AFN broadcast my Texas A&M Aggies' football game against Texas Tech... until the 56-17 final score :(

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home