Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Across the Straits, Around the Horn

The weather and seas were friendlier today, as we left the Strait of Juan de Fuca and turned south around the Olympic Peninsula. We're now heading south along the Oregon border. The waves are still hitting us from the side, but also a bit from behind, so the rocking isn't so bad. By 10:30 this morning I was able to come down and get some work done.

"Work" aboard the JR right now amounts to watching over the teachers in our School of Rock. They're a nice bunch of folks, very easy to work with; from what I understand these two weeks will be smoother than I can expect when the science party boards in Acapulco! Not that scientists are hard to work with... they just tend to be more demanding than your average bear.

I spent the majority of my day updating and approving personal laptops - we don't allow any personal computers on our network without first verifying that the operating system is well-patched, and that a current anti-virus program is running. A couple of the educators brought their systems by - a couple Macs and a PC - I had to get them online, download any appropriate updates, then run full scans to make sure they're clean.

Between these, creating new accounts, and general orientation, I didn't get up to the deck much before sunset. When I did, I was richly rewarded...



Sunset over the Pacific

.